Monday, February 9

Plow the Pow!

When I decided to venture unto this wonderful world of Snowboarding, I was alone. Not by choice of course because I do have somewhat of a mentor. Kris turned me on to this and on that fateful first day of snowboarding in the El Nino winter of 1997, we had a bit of a communication snafu. You see back in those days, we all drove ricey coupes with no ski-racks so unfortunately him and two of his snowboard buddies could not accommodate me (Those were the days when the back seat had to be laid flat for the snowboards). We agreed to meet-up in Big Bear Mountain but somehow they all ended up in Summit Mountain. And of course back then cell signal was non-existent in those areas. That plus it was storming pretty badly...

So there I was all alone green as a thistle on my first day in my Raider Jacket and snow chains, determined to make something out of it

Over the next few years Kris and I were able to amass a good number of snowboarding friends, and perhaps real friends as well. I remember our first ever group picture taken in Summit Mountain (which i still have framed btw...). The photo captured the eager faces of Kris, Stan, Brynner (at a tender age of 13), Terry, Alfred, and finally myself. We looked so impetuous and valiant back then especially without helmets (which would seem silly nowadays...). In fact none of us used to wear any kind of water-resistant Jackets. That was hardly smart of course because someone was always getting hurt or sick the next day from inevitably falling on the snow and getting soaked. But we smartened up eventually...

As the years went by we grew apart as a crew but not for lack of or deteriorating interest or enthusiasm. Guys got married and had kids etc etc, and that's life... These life changing events, however, inherently meant our fun-filled Half-Day Big Bear Trips would become hard to come by or at least be limited. This theory would prove to be true sooner rather than later unfortunately. In the winter of 2004 I decided to do something about it rather than waiting around for guys to become available. It was tough watching storms go by without getting a chance to play in the Pow. So just how did I remedy this problem? Well the logic behind the solution harks back to my first ever trip to Big Bear - going solo -. It was kind of a hard decision to make because it seemed a little crazy. In fact a lot of people suggested it was so! It had been 8 winter seasons since that fateful first solo trip to Big Bear (and first trip period...) and there I was alone once again trudging through snow enthusiastic as ever...

And because it is at least a 2 hour drive each way from my house and since snowboarding can be a very tiring activity, one has to be well rested and well prepared. And perhaps the most important aspect, since there is a tendency to go all-out when skiers and snowboarders are scarce in the slopes on these mid-week trips, is to take plenty of breaks. Have you ever tried doing successive runs without any kind of breaks? Yeah tough to do...

Devotion to this fun activity is what drives me to do these rather lonesome trips. It is fun and if it means I might have to fly solo on certain days, then I must... But it isn't all about fun and the fresh powder, these trips. I am a kind of loner sometimes which affords me this devotion. The long drive allows me time to reflect on things and matters that I do not necessarily like to reflect on while at work or at home. It is a different kind of distraction if you will. And going down the slopes on a solo trip for me does have a kind of therapeutic effect...

While in Lake Arrowbear recently (17 miles from Big Bear) for just an overnight getaway in a cozy tri-level Cabin perched atop hilly Arrowbear Road that my best bud Cathey borrowed from a friend of a friend, I got the idea of possibly borrowing the place for the Monday Half-Day Trip I had planned out. Surprisingly she said "Sure!" without even a pause. I was sort of half kidding but since she agreed, why the hell not? Apparently the owners don't rent it out, it's simply just a vacation house. Convenient...

And since Mori is still recovering from an ankle injury sustained from our last Half-Day Trip and the the rest of my snowboarding pals still indisposed -with a free Cabin to boot- a solo Monday trip was a Go Go Go! And so I drive up towards Big Bear in an ominously snowy and foggy evening that would not relent until Mid-Monday. Luckily I got through safely without incident and spent a quiet night at the cabin reading and chatting a little. And this isn't your Condo-Style cabin but a true cabin so it was a bit creepy in a horror-flick kind of a way... Anyway I wake up to about a couple of feet of fresh snow above the almost two feet accumulation from Friday-Saturday. It was to be a great Pow Pow day! What's odd though was the fact that CalTrans did not bother plowing the roads that morning. Odd I say because I complained about the Sunday morning Plow that came before 5 am that abruptly woke me up. What gives? Thinking of the steep hills that abound the area, I hesitate. I was almost convinced it wasn't safe to drive through that deep unplowed road but my profound dedication to snowboarding persuade me otherwise (this would seem to be a fucking stupid idea now...). Unfortunately my profound dedication would not prove adequate enough to drive my car over that suddenly daunting hill two blocks away (one i drove over repeatedly the day before... unplowed!). My truck skidded sideways as it struggled to find grip. I attempt to save it by putting the drive into Reverse hoping to straighten it out but to no avail. My truck got stuck precariously in the middle of a blind 90 degree turn on a down slope. Yikes! I tried repeatedly to get it un-stuck but at each attempt it seemed to dig deeper and deeper into the snow and against the plowed snow on the side of the road....

After a quick deliberation of my plight, I swallow my 4X4 Pride and call for Road Side Assistance. And after providing all of the pertinent info including the exact address right down to the zip code, the best thing they could offer (and this would be only the 2nd time using this service in almost 10 years of paying for it), was a call back once they're able to find Local Service. Ridiculous! So ridiculous in fact that in the time I was on hold I was able to get a hold of a Local Tow on my other phone. Unfortunately Local Tow Service, at the risk of getting stuck themselves, could not help until the roads are actually plowed. Doh! Made sense though. Its not like they're driving special 4-wheel drive vehicles...

To add to my rather infuriating dilemma the Sheriffs Office, CHP, Fire Department, and finally CALTRANS could not tell me when exactly the plow would come. "Might be this afternoon, might be tonight, or might be tomorrow..." was their best estimation. I put my head down in dismay as I hung up my phone... While that wasn't entirely maddening -because after all it was half my fault, I could have gone the "easier" route- I was a little worried about my food situation if the latter were to be my fate. Three 3 eggs and two pieces of bread would hardly seem adequate... Apparently all of Arrowbears resources were deployed for Highway Service until the snow relented... Out of options I try to dig my truck out using my snowboard (bad idea btw...) and then eventually a shovel that I requisitioned from the Cabin. I dug for about an hour but to no avail before heading back to the cabin to sit in front of the fire (and check emails and such lol). There I sat and considered my options...

Should I really sit around and wait for the plow before calling for Tow Service again? Basically CalTrans suggested that I wait by my car because the plow operator will dutifully call for a tow when he discovers that my car is blocking the road (which again could not provide service until the plow. Such dillema huh?). This would seem to be my only option unless I was willing to spend what I estimated was going to be a 5 hour dig job with no guarantee of a happy ending. Finally at the behest of my cousin Adrian (after chatting online for a bit), I dig and dig and dig and dig some more. But not without complete and utter frustration! I would dig for about 20 minutes only to net a scant 2 feet before getting stuck again. Gaaa! The snow was really deep and apparently in these conditions these 4-wheel-drive vehicles tend to go not where you point the wheel but where the snow tells it too. After a couple of hours of digging (under and around the tires etc etc and a few smoke breaks) I manage to drive the truck out of deep stuff into the middle of the road. But not after overshooting it and getting it stuck again on the other side of the road lol. And so i dig some more... My plan was to drive the car in Reverse back to the cabin and take a different and relatively easier route back to the main Highway...

I make it there eventually (about 3 hours later) after figuring out an effective system of Dig-and-Drive, and as if on cue I once again get stuck as I reverse the truck downhill alongside the Cabin. It almost did not bother me anymore that I was stuck once more because I'd become a confident and efficient digger and I was fairly confident I could make over the new route I'd chosen (I had to be, otherwise why dig?). Once able, I drive over the hill cautious but very hopeful. The truck slid ever so slightly to left then right as the Bridgestone Revo A/T's painstakingly dig for grip. I even closed my eyes for a quick second to say a silent prayer... And when I made it over I almost screamed in Elation. My body was so exhausted but it almost didn't matter. I was free!

A half a mile later and happy to be driving it occurred to me my laptop was still in the stupid cabin. I stop the car and smile wryly at my new humorously annoying problem. I mean after what I had just gone though it seemed like a minor inconvenience. So instead of wasting time getting mad at myself for the silly mistake, I examine the area for a good and safe spot to park (or a place without any possibility of getting stuck again). Because I was not about to drive back and risk it...

After a momentary pause I decided the middle of a relatively flat intersection with not so much snow somehow was the best place. As precarious as that might sound...

And so i hike....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home