Tuesday, January 23

How Harry met Sally

The girl i was seeing in the Philippines made it a habit to speak to me in English. She was an English Major in College and is now a part time English Professor at a local University and a DJ at a local Radio Station to boot. So, understandably, she is used to speaking quite a bit of English on a daily basis. Perhaps she felt it necessary or proper being that i come from the United States of America though i hardly spoke to her in English. I do not think she was trying to impress me but i felt a bit uncomfortable with it. I tried very hard to regain my Tagalog and for the most part i did surprisingly well. She on the other hand spoke far too much English i think. I'll tell you this; my English is actually better than my Tagalog but if I'm in my Native Country i will speak no English unless necessary. Anyway, she is kind of a cool girl regardless. Very personable and fun to be around with. But the English thing had to go, seriously...

The more interesting story though is how i met the girl... One night while hanging with some friends at my house I received a text message from a stranger. She gave me her name and explained that although the name is masculine, she is girl. Kind of a strange way to introduce herself i thought but i played along. She could have easily used her real name (as oppose to her nick name) which is feminine and saved herself the aggravation (durrh!). Naturally i wanted to know how she got by obtaining my cell number. She tried to conceal his name. It wasn't hard to figure out though considering I'd only given out my Local Cell number to a few people. Once i figured out who the culprit was i felt more comfortable texting with the stranger... This girl did not bother beating around the bush. I mean she skipped the pleasantries and jumped straight to "Lets meet" (like that same night). She offered to drive down to my house... I suppose this was okay because she no longer was a complete stranger but i couldn't get myself to agree immediately. I had reservations for some reason. Was i afraid for my life? Well, for a minute there i was. I mean come on i just met the girl-- On Texting!!! Sure she was given my cell number by a lifelong friend but that doesn't necessarily mean she is no Serial Killer, right? Perhaps i have read too many serial killer novels but one can never be too careful... Call me scared but i don't meet up with strangers after one conversation...

Aside from the Serial Killer scenario there were many other things that concerned me. Despite the fact i was only staying there for three short weeks i couldn't convince myself it was okay to meet her without thinking of the possibility of attachment. On her part that is. Not that i was certain she would get attached but the chances are very likely (in my experience it always happens) Plus who knows, i might get attached. The one thing i did not want to happen was precisely that... Perhaps the most major of my concerns was why she was so antsy for a meeting. I wasn't sure if she always employed the same strategy in meeting men and if she did then the idea wouldn't bode too well with me. It's a little too untraditional and freewheeling for my taste. "Why do you want to meet so bad?" i finally replied after her second request to meet (again she wanted to meet that evening). She replied in a self-preserving kind of a manner and apologized for the aggressiveness in her methods but failed to answer why she wanted to meet so bad. We proceeded in our Texting but more in general terms. I think she might have felt in some ways embarrassed due to my apprehension. This, ultimately, by her own admission, is the reason why her curiosity of me never subsided.

After i was able to verify her identity with my friend i agreed to finally meet her. I'm sure it was a tremendous relief to her that i initiated the date hahaha. I met her after dinner with some friends and then i rolled with to a local dive in Town for a few drinks. Turns out she went to the same High School my sister attended which is my Alma Matters sister school. She is three years younger than i and became acquainted with many of my old High School pals over the years (Said she was only 24 on Text). What my friend forgot to mention (citing insignificance) is the fact that she is one of my good friends ex girlfriend Hahahaha. She told me his name after she mentioned she had an ex-boyfriend that also lives in my tiny hometown unbeknownst to her my friendship with the fellow. Although this fellow doesn't come around often anymore because he works in Manila, we practically grew up together (he did come down three times to see me during my vacation). Our fathers have been best friends since elementary, although him and i are not best friends like our fathers it still makes us second generation childhood friends, right? And Oh one tiny tidbit about my fathers Best Friend is that he is the Mayor of my hometown. I SAY that's pretty F'cking Significant on this front... All that said, i don't know if it would have impacted my decision about meeting the Chick but that important information shouldn't have slipped his mind because small town people tend to travel in the same circles. That information was inevitably going to come up. That would have been one HUGE surprise for me especially if the Ex BF showed up unannounced while the Chick was around (i uninvited her once because my friend the ex was meeting my friends and i at a bar). I've come halfway across the world and I'm dating an old pals ex girlfriend. I wasn't sure if to take it as a blessing or an insult that i was given a hand-down. The term is Indelicate i admit but if i were to refer someone to a friend it surely wouldn't be a common friends ex girl. It's just not proper i believe.

Anyway, at the local dive we order some drinks and chit chat. Although it felt somewhat cramped due to the crowd we had fun. In the thick of things, for some odd reason i suddenly felt an uncontrollable urge to Text my sister about the girl (that she's a friends ex gf). This is when everything went downhill. Everything literally turns into shit... Somehow i managed to send the Text NOT to my sister but to Miss DJ (my date). The contents of the said Text was as follows; Stuuuupid Jack (friend who set me up), this girl is Reggie's Ex GF, how stupid is that?.... Can you imagine this?

What happened next was one of the funniest moments in my life (and embarrassing). If it were a movie it'd have been worthy of a "Two Thumbs Up" from Ebert & Roeper i swear. As soon as i realized i sent it to the wrong person my face turned crimson. Instinctively i reached into her open purse for her cell phone to try to salvage the situation. I wasn't sure what i was going to do with her cell phone exactly without causing much suspicion when i finally had it in my hand. I guess delete the message before she gets it? She reacts almost in a panic as i snatch her cell phone from her purse like a mugger. "What are you doing" she says as she snatches her cell phone back almost in a rage. The moment she recovered her phone it beeps indicating a new Text Message has been received. I thought about snatching her phone back but i froze in fear. "Damn it, i should have created a McGyver like diversion first" i thought to myself. But it was too late, she read the Text Message and instantly turns bloody crimson herself. The inexplicable cell phone mugging made sense to her right then. Suddenly our eyes lock as if to duel. I expected her to take a swing at me but she did not. It was almost like a Southwest Airline TV Commercial. You know, "Wanna get away?". We remained mute for quite a while then the rest of the evening was spent apologizing for my stupidity. She said she wanted to Melt...

At 3 am (at home) i was still Texting with this girl mostly recapping the events of the night. Finally when i was tired of talking about it i asked if she wanted to go out later that day... The nerve, right? She agreed to go out. Let's just say i did it all for the nookie lol. Just kidding...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home