Thursday, December 21

Philippine trip; 12 years in the Making

Maya, my first official girlfriend made me break up with her the day i was to leave for the United States for the rest of my life, or at least indefinitely. She wasn't too fond of the fact that i was unwilling to make promises of writing or coming back to her. Coming back for her just seemed so fairy-tale like anyway considering we met only a couple of months before that day. She was in tears and i was somewhat torn between being sad and overwhelmed with anticipation for what was ahead of me. I didn't know how to break up with her and quite honestly i didn't know i had to. Persuaded by her older sister, i broke up with her. It was kind of strange because she looked more relieved that anything after we broke up... So there i was in the brink of leaving everything behind, my friends, my extended family, basically everything that i have ever known and i just broke up with my girlfriend, it was like straight out of a bad romantic movie. I suppose what i needed from her was her blessing, that it was okay to go, not oblivious promises...

After all the drama i boarded my flight with my family uncertain when i was coming back for a visit, i just knew someday i was coming back... I still remember the words of wisdom my Aunt offered before boarding "Don't become a Hippie" she said somberly. I remember being confused but decided not to ask what she meant by it exactly. "Why wouldn't i want to be a Hippie" i thought to myself... See, i thought the word Hippie meant; a young, ambitious, and well-educated city-dweller who has a professional career and an affluent lifestyle-- the definition of yuppy LOL. So, being unsure what she meant, i assured her i wouldn't become a Hippie... Well right now i am neither a Hippie or Yuppy, but that doesn't matter because i am finally coming back for a visit. All of our friends and family rave about how fun and awesome it is to spend time back home, but regrettably they say its not the same anymore, that i wouldn't recognize it. Somewhat disappointing in way because after living in a place like Los Angeles for many years i felt i wanted to see this place i grew up in, this place i revere and longed to see again, exactly as i remember it. Across the street on the left side is the town plaza and the Basketball Court where i spent probably every day of my childhood shooting hoops (even when it rained we played ball). During the rainy months I remember using a broom to wash away small puddles of rain on the Basketball Court just so we could play ball while singing "Rain Rain go away". I remember the shabby Carinderias and Sari Sari stores i used to visit for my daily dose of Mirienda (snacks). The Hot Pandesals after Christmas Mass and the Putobongbongs. I've dearly missed all the native food that's hard to come by around here. The guy with the fish-ball cart (although i don't think I'll be dipping it in the communal jar sauce), the inihaw na Bangus and dalagang bukid, my Grandmas Kare Kare, the sinigang with real Sampaloc (Tamarind) and my all time favorite the Pinakbet-- It's the one i always ask for, even on Thanksgiving.

It is amazing how rapidly this trip snuck up on me. After we canceled our initial plans in April of this year, December seemed an eternity away. Although i was making a conscious effort to save money for this December trip i was constantly reminding myself how long 7 months could get, i didn't want to get anxious you see. In lieu of the Philippine trip i serendipitously found myself preparing for a New Jersey trip to see about a girl. Incidentally she was someone I'd been dreaming about almost all of my adult life. Trixy said i was chasing a dream, i sort of tried to deny it but she was right. It was an exciting time of my life (perhaps the most exciting time). When those plans fell on the wayside too i was disheartened which makes this December trip to the Philippines all the more important. Well anyway, right now as i write this blog i have packed nothing but the Xbox, its carrying case and the 25 games that i am giving to my young cousins (this could be their best Christmas yet). As requested i got shoes for the cousins my age, not just any shoes either, they wanted Nike's and specifically no Retros, geez talk about pickiness. "What is wrong with Retros?" i asked defensively. Apparently it is too plain even for their Third World feet lol...

I'll see y'all in mid January. Happy Holidays...

1 Comments:

At 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow im impressed ,english is my first language and i feel stupid after reading these blogs, i never knew my freind was so smart
marc you have alot of freinds out here so dont forget to write about your navy days no means nooo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home