Tuesday, December 12

Pure as the driven Snow

I'm going away to the Philippines for three weeks over the Holidays and one of the things i wanted to put away was at least a local half day snowboarding trip to Big Bear Mountain. Like a weatherman I've always had a knack for picking the best days to go. This year to start off the Season i picked Sunday, December 10. I picked Sunday partly because the temps and relative humidity forecast was low, virtually no wind, but mostly because there was a 50% chance of snow overnight on Saturday. However, come Saturday morning the forecast took a sudden change of heart and downgraded to a 'trace of snow', my heart sunk. Heartbroken, i decided to be patient and prepare myself for the sad possibility of leaving for my Vacation without a Snowboarding Trip under my belt as planned. I even played more basketball than usual Saturday morning knowing i might not be going Snowboarding after all...

Additionally, my cousin Adrian inauspiciously scheduled his annual Christmas Party that Saturday night which meant i was potentially staying up late on the eve of my first Snowboarding Day of the new Season. This weighed heavily on my mind too. Ultimately though, i was too tired to go on Sunday, plus the unexciting 'trace of snow' forecast didn't help either. However, come Monday morning while picking up my coffee in 7-Eleven, the LA Times front page was Big Bear's surprise Snow Storm late Saturday night through early Sunday morning that yielded over 5 inches of snow. I froze in front of that Newspaper Stand as i attempted to process the information in my head then cussed under breath "What the fuck?!"... No one to blame, i blamed Adrian for throwing his party on the eve of my first Snowboarding trip because i might have gone anyway if it wasn't for his party. To compound matters i saw two cars on the 118 Freeway heading East, snowboards clamped on their secure racks, and faces filled with that unmistakable Ski Resort anticipation on my way to work... All throughout Monday i couldn't get those cars out of my head...

My determination was not to be denied. Fueled by my forthcoming Philippine trip, i made a deal with the devil. Well not quite the devil, but i was able to excogitate myself to Big Bear without anyone knowing about it, or more importantly without anyone missing me at work. Sshh!!!

It was wonderful...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home