Monday, April 2

First Descent Part II

I climbed Las Lljas again Saturday afternoon only this time with a much better suspension setup and brand new Stem and High Rise handle bars (went with a Down Hill short stem). I was able to climb not with much more ease this time but felt stronger thanks to the new setup. I'm really quite surprised how much i'd learned about Bike setup with only three rides under my budding Mountain Bike career. Basically the rear air shocks were initially set too soft. As a result when i pedaled the air shocks would absorb most of the torque transfer instead of the crank and the gears causing a bobbing motion. This was not an ideal for climbing as you can imagine. Even after i stiffened up the compression on the rear shocks it was still bobbing quite a bit. I discovered (according to the Bike Manual) i had to have the same amount of psi infused in the shocks as my weight. The guy at the Bike Shop was 40 psi's off moron! I'm going with the Manual on this one...

On Sunday, although i have not completely conquered Las Lljas and Oil Well fire roads i was brave enough to venture into another Mountain Trail. I read a number of great reviews online about Cheesebro Canyon's beginner Trails in the Santa Monica Mountain Ranges (although closer to the Simi hills really). They raved about its long flat runs, gentle slopes, and moderate climbs (here we go again with moderate). Of course they've got the crazy stuff too if you trail off to one of the many drops offs (or connector trails). They've got really cool single track obstacles if you like rocks and jumping over things too. The canyon trail is also used by the locals for horseback (they implore that riders be careful... yep). I'm not quite sure why i felt i didn't belong there yet but i figured i'd just take it easy and cruise around if anything. I suppose the hesitation is coming from being a newbie in a new sport. Although i am not a complete newbie to riding bikes or mountain bikes period. I had a bmx and a mountain bike in the Philippines-- which hardly saw dirt...

The Cheesebro Trailhead is located just east of the 23 junction on the 101 freeway (near the Camarillo outlet). I guess you could call it the outskirts but if you didn't know any better you'd guessed you were somewhere near Sacramento or something. Most if not all the houses are ranch style homes. It seemed like a stable is a requisite to live there because every house i saw had one with a few horses prancing about too (some in the front). But if you had a keen eye for homes you could tell some of these ranch style houses are only for effect, pseudo ranch homes if you will. Like the house adjacent the lower trailhead parking lot-- it's a large two story ranch house, tall lumber style fencing, a stable with no horse, a giant white gazebo in the yard, a volleyball court, and two BMW's parked out front. It's all incongruous... Anyways, Frank and i parked in that lower lot (about 250 meters from the upper lot where the actual trailhead is). A paved road leads up to the upper parking lot with a horse trail running alongside it (i'm still not quite sure why i parked below). The trailhead itself is relatively big with almost a panoramic view of the many trails it possesses. They even provide free trail maps and i think i saw a bathroom... It was quite a departure from Las Lljas's nondescript trailhead...

Two park rangers approached us perhaps noticing my fixed gaze on the trail map (dead giveaway for a newbie-- at least new to the Park). We confessed we were new to the sport (although quite obvious with Frank) so they suggested we stay on the beginner trail called Cheesebro Canyon Trail, also to keep an eye out for the trail signs, and follow it back down once we reach "Sulfur Springs" which apparently turns into a very gnarly single track, Not recommended for beginners (i don't wanna end up there, i whispered to myself)... I secured a trail map in my cargo shorts, sipped some water from my hydration pack, and headed out filled with anticipation. Frank is still a little slow for me so left him behind after a few minutes (he's got a lot of work to do to improve his stamina). The first 3 miles of the trail is very pleasant and easy, gentle slopes and real moderate climbs (unlike Las Lljas). I must of missed a sign because the next thing i know i was on a trail called Palo Comado Canyon Trail ( i do remember going left when the trail forked -- i guess Cheesebro continued right, not left) which leads directly into the more technical part of Sulfur Springs-- exactly where the park ranger suggested NOT to try. The climbs became not only steeper but riddled with very big rocks. Hardly the stuff for beginners... Obviously at this point i had two options-- one to admit i couldn't possibly handle the terrain turn back around and re-connect with Cheesebro Canyon-- two, believe in my unproven ability (damn it i got a good Bike). Somehow, even without the proper tools and equipment (spare tubes and repair kit), i felt intrepid. I suddenly found an inkling to test myself. I mean, why the heck not?

Some guy on an online review (mtbr.com) said the Giant Reign 3 (my bike) despite its weight is a hell of a climber. I must say, i agree with this wise fellow because i was climbing rocky terrains (i mean scary stuff... bluffs with boulders in the bottom) like i have done it many times before. I could've fooled at least the novices if they'd seen me... I mean with my lack of mountain experience i had NO business being on that terrain. But this Bike and way it climbs inspired me to ride hard... Amazingly I made it through wet and rocky Sulfur Spring unscathed. It was great because beyond Sulfur Springs is this awesome sandy and rocky (yep more rocks) single track with moderate climbing and great views of the surrounding peaks (yea back to moderate... whew). This track felt like nowhere land because i did not see a single soul nor heard any scurrying animal... Man i knew i didn't belong there but i threaded on. At the eastern edge of the trail is the summit called Sheep Coral Trail, the steepest climb i have seen yet (Rocky as heck too). At the heel of this climb there was a guy resting. He said beyond the rocky hill are three more very steep and strenuous climbs that usually take him between from 20-30 minutes. I contemplated this rather daunting proposition.... Thirty minutes of climbing didn't seem very easy to do at that point though hahaha. Besides who's to say i could actually make it all the way up? With that in mind i decided not to push it. Plus it was almost 4 pm (poker at 6 pm). I told myself i'd been brave enough for one afternoon and called it a day (With no tools... Now i gotta get tools coz i am going to climb that son of a bitch)...

I didn't ride quite as fast going downhill on Palo Comado as i did on Las Lljas because of the rocks and very steep drops (though short) but it was equally exhilarating. The rocks, believe it or not helped me focus on the trail like a race car driver sticking it on the best racing line. Although i was being extra cautious i got through Sulfur Springs and back into Cheesbro fairly quickly. I guess it isn't really that long of a trail if you think about it (especially if you didn't go completely around the trail) but the climbs make it seem longer than it really is.

I went as fast as i could on Cheesebro Canyon Trail until i my calves hurt (lol). I suppose it was my way of rewarding myself for the doing well on Sulfur Springs and the very technical single track. I guess i was going a little too fast because i could not slow down enough around this turn and almost lost it. For good measure-- around the corner were four girls trotting on their steeds. I remember quite vividly because the lead girl began to scream "OMG slow down" (and believe me i was trying my best to...). They stopped and gave way to avoid a collision-- and i almost got out of the precarious situation until the last horse... Perhaps startled by my speed it suddenly Shimmied into me sending me flying into some ugly brush (lol). Although it was a gentle shimmy that horse separated me from my Bike like a shotgun blast, it was nuts... As i gathered myself my Bike was no where in site. I guess i was tossed sideways pretty darn far (lol). When i finally clambered up i swear that horse looked back at me as if to say "watch-out"...

Bruised up I got back on my Steed like nothing happened and galloped back to the Trailhead.

I'll see those damn horses later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home